Help required in understanding Power-Grid plugins build

Everything regarding the Power-Grid SDK can be asked and discussed here.

Help required in understanding Power-Grid plugins build

Postby MrDynamite13 » 26. Jan 2014, 22:36

Hey.
1.I'm newbie in C++ (Work on single Exectuable, for solving mathematical problems), but I can handle some cool stuff with Windows control.
2.I would like to learn how to use my knowledge to make Plugins with some new features (Like one thing from Requests, Sound Output control).
3.I don't know any other language except C++, so I would need to base my code on DLL, is it possible?
4.As there isn't lot of movement on Power-Grid forum or Grids store, so maybe there could be someone that has such knowledge and would like to lend me some of his time and teach me at least basics :D

Thanks.
MrDynamite13

Re: Help required in understanding Power-Grid plugins build

Postby raccoon » 27. Jan 2014, 01:11

Hey MrDynamite13,

if you want to start making plugins, I suggest starting off with the examples bundeld in the SDK. Those should give you a basic structure to base your work on. As should the attached documentation.
If you are familiar with C++ you should have little problems with the Javascript code that is required for bridging DLLs to Power-Grid. You can also take a look at the two ROCCAT plugins (Trackpad and RyosFX) and see how we are using DLLs for the provided features - the Javascript is supplied in readable form (not obfuscated).
Once you have a more specific question regarding plugins, just ask it here in the forum!
raccoon
ROCCAT Staff

Postby MrDynamite13 » 27. Jan 2014, 12:51

racoon - That's the actual problem :/ I don't get how all these things link together, how I can send some data through different apps and executable files.

Now I have school, so It's pretty hard to take whole day for reading a d learning code :/ If some could just Skype me all the needed knowledge, at the same time when writing the app.

Thanks anyway and I will check out these two plugins. :)
MrDynamite13

Postby raccoon » 28. Jan 2014, 01:32

Hey MrDynamite13,

I'm afraid there is no way to make you learn how to code plugins faster than referring to the documentation of the SDK. You will need to read through the docs carefully, and believe me: after reading the few pages, things will be much clearer. Without any specific questions I cannot help you. All I could do would be to repeat the text of the documentation again.
We took great care in writing the docs and supplying you with examples to get you started as fast as possible, and I'm certain you will be able to write your own plugins with very little effort soon.
Don't be afraid to experiment, change small parts of existing code in the examples or the supplied grids, check what happens. This is how you will learn fastest and - I'm speaking from experience here - you will learn to code with much more self confidence compared to having someone tell you what to do.
Set yourself small goals first and then improve your plugin step by step. I'm sure you will manage!
raccoon
ROCCAT Staff

Postby MrDynamite13 » 31. Jan 2014, 23:21

Naah.
I get how to make a plugin, how to make a plugin using .json files (.ctrlsets;.jsons), but when I would like to make a two state button, by looking at Docs and soundctrl.ctrset/.json/.qs, I get how do .json referee to .ctrlset and how it gets functions using "scripts" from Java's .qs files, but as I've never used Java, stuff in there means nothing to me.

Let's say in soundctrl.qs there is determined such function:
Code: Select all
function OnInitBtnMute(p_xSkin)
{
   var xThis=this;
   p_xSkin.data={
      xThis:xThis,
      xOnO:this.FindLayout("OnO"),
      xLED:this.FindLayout("LED"),
      bMic:p_xSkin.name.indexOf("Mic")!=-1,
   };
   OnUpdateBtnMute(p_xSkin);
};

This is a function that should "mute" my microphone, but which part of these changes such setting in system? What are these xOnO, xLED, bMic? Where from do you get variable xThis?
I think that these aren't things very hard for you to explain, but either including such files (all soundctrl. files) and explaining them wouldn't be hard, or at least add (to the CustomButton:Master) functionality for making multiple state buttons, cause that's what Im working on now :D
MrDynamite13

Return to Power-Grid SDK